Friday, February 5, 2010

The life is in the blood...

I went to donate blood today...
Well, I shouldn't give myself all the credit.  My mom thought of the idea and asked me if I wanted to be a blood donor.  I wasn't sure about it, but I considered that since I'd like to save people's lives (although I'd prefer dramatic ways such as stopping a killer from getting them or something like that), this would be an indirect way to do so.  


[1/6/10]
Well, I was told I could take the bandage off my arm after four hours, but after around four hours my arm was still bleeding, so I put it back on, and shortly before midnight I took it off.  The bleeding had stopped by then.  Back to my time in the blood collection center itself:
Getting my finger poked in the beginning hurt a little bit of course, but only for a short time, and nothing was still in me to cause any further discomfort.  (I thought, "Ow", but I don't think my expression changed) 
However, getting my blood drawn was a slightly different story.  Once again, as I was getting "stuck", I doubt my expression changed, but also once again I thought, "Ow."  Only this time another thought also popped into my mind - "That's a big needle!"  My arm ached some of the time the needle was in my arm, but the rest of the time I didn't feel anything and I was just bored, lying there.  
The woman who took the needle out of  my arm said something like, "Taking the tape off will probably hurt the most."  Riiighht.  Unfortunately, since the needle was in my arm, it had to come back out, and that didn't exactly feel the greatest.  But I guess it was worth it if I saved somebody's life.
The snacks (cookies and other stuff) were nice, but not something I'd get poked for just to get.     

Lev. 17:14a
For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof...


-Max out

1 comment:

Hannah Leigh said...

Good for you, Max! I don't know if I'd be able to do it, though...I hate needles. But that's a pretty selfish reason, isn't it?