Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happenings in the Present

This morning I ran in the 10k race I wrote about some time ago, with my dad and two of my younger brothers.
My dad had said he would get me something like an iPhone (my phone is a cracked Motorola KRZR) if I finished in 52:30 or better.  And I...didn't.  The route is nearly all dirt (or mud, since it was wet), making it very hard to run through.  It also didn't help that a good portion of the way, including near the beginning, is uphill.
I was hoping some friends were going to be able to do the run as well, but such was not to be.
At least I won a $25 gift card for a restaurant.  No, I didn't run with my camera.
I accidentally deleted all the photos I took today, so I'm trying to see if I can recover them...


Yes, it's working; I now have my photos back!  
There are plenty of file recovery programs out there where you can view your deleted files, but you need to register to recover them, however, Recuva is absolutely free to download and to recover your files.  It's available for installation  
There are other free file recovery programs you can try out, but this one was #1 on the list.   
16 Free File Recovery Programs
Why didn't I know about this before?
While you're looking at that program, here are a few more free PC utilities you should know about, if you don't already:


1) 7-Zip 
Have you ever been annoyed by the fact that Windows takes a long time to extract .zip (and other) files?
Well, use 7-Zip and there will be no more waiting - at least, not as much; for small files, such as a song, extracting will be almost instantaneous, but when extracting multiple and/or large files, expect to wait a little bit longer. 


2) Format Factory
This program converts media files from one format to another...although there quite probably are programs that convert a certain type of media (photo, video, or audio) to another format of the same type (for instance, GIF to JPEG or .flv to .mp3) better than this one, Format Factory is kind of a "one size fits all" sort of thing, if you don't like having lots of programs.  Or, to use a photography metaphor, it's like a good walkaround lens.
FF can also rip DVDs, although I think I've used dedicated DVD ripping programs that are much better and offer more control for that use.  I've also used the program to convert a video I've downloaded from YouTube using another program, from a video format such as .mp4 to mp3.  That way I can keep the video and listen to the song by itself.
3) A disc image maker/mounting program such as DAEMON Tools.
Using a virtual drive program can be useful, because if you have disc images of your optical discs, you can keep them conveniently stored on your hard drive.
It's also easier to store and take disc images with you than physical discs, and finally, if you're like me and have a netbook with no optical drive, if you don't have a disc image and virtual drive software, you won't be able to use some stuff you have...



And a photo:
Breaking Through
I am now tired because I got up at 5:30 this morning, so I'm going to get ready for bed...if I stay up much longer, it's going to get harder to think about what I'm writing.

No comments: