Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Self-defense, etc.

Note: The following information is intended for responsible, older audiences (generally 18 and older, although there may be some exceptions).
So kids, don't try this at home.


[Disclaimer: I am not a qualified expert on the following topics; I would like to learn the same things I'm going to be talking about.  Also, if you use any of the following information and it gets you into trouble because you haven't used it correctly or things didn't turn out the way you expected them to, don't blame me.  As I said, I'm not an expert; I'm just trying to give you some advice to point you in the right direction if you want to learn more.]


If you're like some people, (like me) you may be interested in learning something about self-defense in case you or someone else is attacked, so you won't be helpless if that situation arises.
If, like some people I know, you have religious, ethical, moral, philosophical, or any other kind of objections to seriously injuring or killing someone when you or someone you care about is being harmed by them, stop reading; the following information is not for you.  


Having a gun for protection is a good idea but isn't much help if 1) you don't have the mindset to use it, 2) you're either not trained or incorrectly trained in its use (it can actually be dangerous to you and those you're trying to protect), 3) you don't have it with you, etc., etc.


Learning self-defense/martial arts has some similarities to having a gun for protection.
Of course, there are some differences, but here are some similarities:
1) Learning self-defense/martial arts does not automatically make you a "force to be reckoned with.
2) Learning martial arts that are just meant for sports does not prepare you for a real-life, violent confrontation.
3) All this generally doesn't look like what it's often portrayed as on TV and in the movies.


I'm going to talk about what to learn and do if you are serious about surviving a violent confrontation, but in case you don't want to wait until I finish this post (this is just something to get you headed in the right direction, not a training course), you can look at Tim Larkin's Target Focus Training website (http://www.targetfocustraining.com/) or Jeff Anderson's Close Quarters Combat website (http://www.closequarterscombat.com/index.html).
Also, here's the list of instructors that are members of the International Society of Close Quarter Combatants (Jeff Anderson's organization): ISCQC Instructors 
I would have mentioned them later, but you can take a look now if you're serious about protecting yourself and those you care about.  


Reasons to learn reality-based self-defense/martial arts:
1) For self-defense and the defense of others.


I would use the common, "loved ones" phrase, but if you'd want to protect those being attacked including your friends and people you don't even know, you wouldn't call them loved ones.  Well, maybe you might with close friends, but certainly not with people who aren't even acquaintances. 


2) You're not paranoid if you learn this stuff; you're just being prepared.


3) You may have heard the horror stories of people tied up in their homes while the intruders ransacked the home; well, they were the fortunate ones.  Many others have been tortured and murdered in their homes after getting tied up.  I'm not trying to use scare tactics here (OK, maybe I am, after all), but many people think, "I don't live in a high-crime area; that won't happen to me."  However, it does. 


I'm just about out of time for today, but I'll write more later.
I'll also write a post on home invasions and steps you can do to prevent them, and a few things you can do when you're experiencing a home invasion to protect yourself and your family.


-To be continued

No comments: