Friday, October 1, 2010

And the rain kept on falling, and the sun wasn't shining...and I thought about saving someone...

Given my usually terse post titles, this may come as somewhat of a surprise, but it basically explains what this post is going to be about.
First, although it's stopped raining, it rained two days ago, and into the night as well (I ran in the rain).
I actually kind of think it's nice to stand in the rain, although it can get annoying after your clothes get soaked, and you have to make sure your electronic devices don't get wet, and you might get cold, etc.


Anyway, some time ago, I read two verses in Proverbs, Prov. 24:11-12:

11 If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain;

12 If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works?

I had read these verses many times before, both by myself, and with my family as we went through Proverbs during family devotions, but only recently did it stand out to me.

While I am kind of uncertain as to what the Bible says about self-defense since I don't see anything in Scripture that explicitly says you should or shouldn't defend yourself (for now, I'm going with the pro-self-defense position), I believe the verses above state pretty clearly that you should protect the lives of others who are in danger.  
So you might want to be in shape, be armed, get some combat skills, etc. so you can actually save someone in the event someone is in danger.'=
This morning (Tuesday), during our Bible study, we were reading in Genesis about how Abram defeated the kings who had kidnapped Lot and was greeted afterwards by Melchizedek.  I  think this is another passage that shows that there are just wars, and that you should defend and fight for your family (and others as well, I'd add, although it's specifically family in this passage).


-Max out

No comments: